La Salle has been the home of the Christian Brothers since 1886. Until 1977, it served as the provincial Motherhouse with the house of formation and studies for young men discerning to become Christian Brothers. It also housed the Brothers on staff & faculty and a retired community of Brothers as well as the provincial offices. Since then, smaller communities of Christian Brothers have lived at La Salle and several Brothers now serve in the ministry of retreat work here.
The De La Salle Christian Brothers are a group of lay religious men devoted to education. They trace their beginnings to John Baptist De La Salle, a French priest, who established their society in 1680. St. John Baptist de La Salle, by following one small decision to another, became completely devoted to the education of children, especially those of lesser means, and to the training of those who would educate and form them.
In this day, Brothers serve as teachers and administrators for many levels and types of education. They also serve as campus ministers, in publishing and retreat work.